Distinctions and awards
o Best paper award: paper [C87] in ACM HotPost workshop (In ACM Mobihoc) 2016.
o Research Support Grant, Athens University of Economics and Business, for the project “Optimization of computation and data collection in mobile environments”, 2015-2017, €13K, PI.
o Best paper award: paper [C59], in ACM WINTECH 2013 workshop (in conjunction with ACM Mobicom 2013).
o Single-investigator European Research Council (ERC) competition runner-up award (co-funded by Greece and the European Union (European Social Fund) through the Operational Program "Education and lifelong learning - NCRF 2007-2013), for the project "RECITAL: Resource Management for Self-coordinated Autonomic Wireless Networks", €690K, 2012-2015.
o Samsung Global Research Outreach (GRO) Innovations program award for the project "NETSTAT: Network inference and optimization with statistical physics methods", 2012-2013, €200K, co-PI (with L. Tassiulas).
o Senior Member of IEEE, 2012-present.
o Greek Government Scholarship grant for bi-lateral collaboration project with Deutsche Telekom Labs, Germany on Cloud computing, €10K, 2012-2013.
o Marie Curie International Re-Integration Grant (IRG) for the project "SAINT-W: Secure Advanced Integrated Layer Design of Wireless Networks", Funded by European Commission, , €80K, 9/2005-9/2007.
o Visiting Scholarship, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, USA. Collaboration with Prof. R. Poovendran, 7/2005-8/2005.
o Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA), Institute for Systems Research, University of Maryland, College Park, 8/1999 – 1/2003.
o Graduate Fellowship, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 8/1997 – 6/1999.
o Fulbright Fellowship, the Fulbright Foundation, 8/1997 – 12/2002, for Graduate Studies in USA.
o Distinguished academic performance monetary award, Foundation of Greek Government Scholarships (I.K.Y), 1996, 1997.
o NSF Student travel awards/grants to participate as author / presenter in INFOCOM 2001 and 2002.
o IEEE Communications Society student travel grant, GLOBECOM 1999.
o Best student presentation award, Fall 1999 ECE Department Graduate Seminar Series, University of Maryland, College Park.
Academic and Research
o Associate Professor: Department of Informatics, Athens University of Economics and Business, 2016-.
o Assistant Professor: Department of Informatics, Athens University of Economics and Business, 2013-2016.
o Assistant Professor: Department of Computer and Telecommunications Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece, 2010-2013.
o Affiliated Researcher: Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH), Informatics and Telematics Institute, 2005-2015.
o Lecturer: Department of Computer and Telecommunications Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece, 2005-2010.
o Adjunct Lecturer: Computer and Telecommunications Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece, 2003-2005.
o Affiliated Researcher: Centre for Research and Technology Thessaly (CERETETH), 2009-2011.
o Affiliated Researcher: Institute for Accelerating Systems and Applications (IASA), 2009-2011.
o Visiting Scholar: University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 6/2005-8/2005. Collaboration on intrusion detection and jamming attack modeling for wireless networks; Partial supervision of graduate student M. Li.
Industry experience in Europe and USA
o Visiting Research scientist: Yahoo! Research Labs, Barcelona, 9/2012-12/2012.
o Research Intern: Aperto Networks Inc, Milpitas, CA, 5/2000-8/2000. Participation in design and analysis of cross-layer adaptation algorithms (PHY modulation, FEC coding rate and power control and link layer ARQ protocol, packet size) for the Aperto Fixed Broadband Wireless link. These algorithms are part of the technology OptimaLink® that has been incorporated into products PacketWave of Aperto (subscriber unit, Base Station unit) for high performance fixed wireless broadband access. Performance evaluation of algorithms with the OPNET simulation tool.
o Research Intern: HRL Laboratories, Malibu, CA, 5/1999- 8/1999: Research in internal HRL project “Small Unit Operation – Deployable and Adaptive Ad-hoc Mobile Networks (SUO-DAMAN)” of DARPA. Design of broadcast routing protocols for control information dissemination in wireless ad-hoc networks. Performance evaluation in terms of bandwidth consumption, delay and robustness to topology changes.
o Research Intern: Hughes Network Systems (HNS), Germantown, MD, 5/1998-8/1998: Research in project “Intermediate Circular Orbit (ICO) Satellite System” of ICO Global Communications Ltd. Design of handover algorithms for Mobile Satellite System ICO. Simulation in C++ of dynamic operation of the ICO satellite system (satellites, terrestrial and airborne user terminals, wireless link, handover, channel allocation, call blocking). Design and simulation of channel allocation algorithms for improved blocking ratio.
Professional Affiliations and service
o TPC Co-chair, International Workshop on Resource Allocation and Cooperation in Wireless Networks (RAWNET), in WiOpt 2017
o TPC co-chair: International Workshop on "Networking across disciplines: Communication networks, complex systems and statistical physics (NETSTAT), in conjunction with IEEE ICC 2013.
o TPC co-chair: International Workshop on Resource Allocation and Cooperation in Wireless Networks (RAWNET), in WiOpt 2012
Technical Program Committee Member
· IEEE INFOCOM 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
· ACM Int. Symp. on Mobile Adhoc Networking and Computing (Mobihoc), 2009, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
· IEEE Int. Conf. on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), 2012.
· IEEE International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad-hoc and Wireless networks (WiOpt) 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019.
· International Workshop on Resource Allocation, Cooperation and Competition in Wireless Networks (RAWNET), 2014.
· ACM Conf. on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (VALUETOOLS) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
· IEEE Wireless On-demand network systems and services Conference (WONS), 2016.
· IEEE Int. Conf. on Sensors and Ad-Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON) 2008, 2012.
· Int. Workshop on QoS (IWQoS) 2010, 2011, 2012.
· IEEE Int. Symp. on Personal Indoor Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 2008, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
· Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec) 2010, 2011.
· Int. Conf. on Network Games, Control and Optimization (NetGCoop), 2012, 2014.
· Workshop on Internet Trust, Reputation, Identity and Privacy, 2012.
· IEEE 1st Int. Black Sea Conf. on Communications and Networking (BlackSeaCom), 2013.
· IEEE Workshop on Novel Approaches to Energy Management and Evaluation in Wireless Networks, in conjunction with IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications (ICC), 2012.
· IEEE Int. Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), 2012.
· Int. Conf. on Test-beds and Research Infrastructures for the development of networks and communities (TRIDENTCOM), 2011, 2012
· Int. Conf. on Telecommunications (ICT), 2011
· Int. Conf. on Computer Communication Networks (ICCCN), 2012.
· Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC) 2008, 2009
· IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
· Int. Symp. on a World on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2010
· IEEE Veh. Tech. Conf. (VTC), 2009, 2010
· Int. Conf. On Mobile Lightweight Wireless Systems (MOBILIGHT), 2010
· Tyrrhenian International Workshop on Digital Communications (TIWDC), 2009
· TPC Member, 1st International Workshop on Security for Mobile Wireless Communications (SeMIC) 2008.
· Workshop on Secure Network Protocols (NPSec), 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
· Int. Symp. on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM), 2005, 2006.